December 4, 2017 – President Trump signed a proclamation to cut protections for more than two million acres of public lands in the American West by reducing the boundaries of Bears Ears National Monument and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument. This direction will have serious consequences for the region’s cultural, scientific and natural resources and for all of America’s public lands and waters. Most importantly, it undercuts the idea of permanence that underpins the protection of all America’s wildlife refuges, national monuments, parks, and designated areas, like the Continental Divide Trail.
In response, CDTC in partnership with the Colorado Mountain Club (CMC), have sent a letter signed on by over 180 businesses across Colorado asking the congressional delegation to urge the Trump administration to stop its National Monuments review and leave our existing national monuments’ borders and protective policies intact. Help us amplify their voice by urging your congressional representatives to speak up for public lands and help protect the iconic landscapes we rely on for recreation, business, natural resources and an American way of life!
- put tens of thousands of Native American sacred sites in southern Utah at renewed risk of looting and desecration;
- place iconic natural areas, archaeological treasures, and key wildlife habitat in the cross-hairs of the fossil fuel industry by stripping protections for lands that sit on oil, gas, coal and mineral reserves; and
- undercut the idea of permanence that underpins the protection of all America’s wildlife refuges, national monuments, parks, and protected areas like the Continental Divide National Scenic Trail.
- Check out these talking points
- Craft comments with details about where you recreate and share with your networks
- Submit a letter to your congressional delegations, post on Facebook, twitter or Instagram (sample social media posts here)
Thank you for helping us stand with Bears Ears and Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monuments and on behalf of all of our public lands!